[TUHS] Command-line options

Charles Anthony charles.unix.pro at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 11:50:36 AEST 2016

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 6:25 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Mar 2016, Ronald Natalie wrote:
>
> > The other fun character set was the old UNIVAC Fielddata.  There were no
> > non printing characters and in fact not even a null value (the 0 value
> > was called master space and printed as @).
>
> What was the character set used by CDC?  60-bit words, of 10 6-bit
> "characters",
> as I recall...  I thought it was Fielddata, but you're saying that that's
> Univac's.

<I used SCOPE and NOS/BE in the mid-70s, much has been lost....>

I seem to recall both 6 bit and a larger field that handled upper/lower
case; I have no recollection of the names of the encoding. I do distinctly
remember that for the six bit set, 0 was used for both ':' and
end-of-string; trailing colons on a line would disappear.

-- Charles