[TUHS] Command-line options

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Sun Mar 27 16:18:33 AEST 2016

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016, at 22:01, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> All octal from here on.
>
> CDC had several different character sets, most called BCD.  They were
> unlike Fieldata, which in fact bore some resemblance to ASCII (letters
> starting @ABC.. from 0 (or 40 in ASCII), digits starting at 60, ...)

Wikipedia mentions one called "CDC display code" that went :ABC..., then
the digits followed after Z.

Also, according to Wikipedia, Fieldata was a seven-bit code with A at
006 (putting Z at 037) - it wasn't ASCII-like at all, except for having
the letters in a continuous run.

> In 7600 BCD, ABC started at 21 (internal) or 61 (external), and digits
> started at 00, though in the external form 0 was out of line at 12.
> The 3200 system had different coding again; digits were XS3 starting
> at about 53.
>
> As if that wasn't enough, the code table I'm looking at right now
> (7600) has something called ASCII SUBSET with (upper case) letters
> starting at 41 and digits starting at 20.  No idea why they called it
> ASCII.

That sounds like ECMA-1. Does it start off "sp HT LF VT FF CR SO SI ( )"
from 00?

http://web.archive.org/web/20070407200421/http://homepages.cwi.nl/~dik/english/codes/stand.html
mentions it as an "ISO 6 bit"