[TUHS] PDP-11/70 SPL

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Mon Mar 28 09:07:42 AEST 2016

On 2016-03-27 23:49, jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu  (Noel Chiappa) wrote:

>      > From: Johnny Billquist
>
>      > It would also be interesting if anyone can come up with a good reason
>      > why SPL should work that way.
>
> So that when doing:
>
> 	SPL	0
> 	WAIT
>
> you don't lose by having the interrupt happen between the SPL and the WAIT?

Hmm. A good point. If you depend on WAIT waking you up at an interrupt,
then you need SPL to block here. But this also means that you must be at
SPL 7 before any of this, otherwise you are still exposed to this
problem (nothing says that the interrupt won't happen before the SPL as
well).

In general, I would say that this is not the way I would write code, but
checking in RSX and 2.11BSD I can tell that RSX do not use this pattern,
and does a WAIT without any SPL, while 2.11BSD do an SPL 0 followed by
WAIT. And the routine in 2.11BSD is also called at SPL 7.

So obviously, both ways have been done, and 2.11BSD will work
potentially with a slight degration if the SPL do not block interrupts.
It will still work fine, as you will, at a minimum, get an interrupt at
the next clock tick, which will wake it up. But it might possibly be
sitting in a WAIT slightly longer than required.

RSX in fact just loops after the WAIT. If an interrupt should cause the
system to be able to do something more productive, it will not return to
the idle loop. So yes, it also detects in the interrupt exit processing,
that it was/is in the idle loop.

I still haven't had time to investigate properly. But at least processor
and chip manuals do not say that SPL will block interrupts. But that is
no guarantee that it don't in reality.

	Johnny