[TUHS] Claim your early Unix contributions on GitHub

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Thu Mar 31 02:07:51 AEST 2016

Diomidis Spinellis <dds at aueb.gr> wrote:

> Specifically, I first find SCCS included in the BSD-4 snapshot (e.g.
> usr.bin/sccs/sccs.c) and also in the BSD SCCS repositories predating
> BSD-4, through commits such as the following.
>
> commit 20f9634be56fa471a34bc386dcc4c04f9587791d
> Author: Eric Allman <eric at ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
> Date: Tue May 13 07:23:29 1980 -0800
>
> changed path to SCCS/s.
> added chghist & help
> generalized argument chomping

It seems that you confuse the program "sccs" from Eric Allman with SCCS in
general.

sccs	see: http://sccs.sourceforge.net/man/sccs.1.html
	is a wrapper program that helps to use the SCCS worker programs.
	"sccs" was written at UC Berkeley since Max 10 1980.

	Check the bottom SEE ALSO paragraph.

admin cdc comb delta get help prs prt rmdel sact unget val
	are the worker programs that predate the existence of the "sccs"
	program by many years.
	These programs have been written at AT&T by Marc.

BTW: The SCCSv4 history format was introduced February 18, 1977 and is still
understood by recent software.

CSRG includes the UCB history for the AT&T SCCS commands as well, but they have
not been legally available before December 20 2006. The AT&T sources "slipped"
into the CSRG archives and nobody really complained ;-)

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin