[TUHS] Comments on "C"

Blake McBride blake at mcbride.name
Thu Sep 8 11:19:14 AEST 2016

After about 30 years of C, there are only three things I would have liked
to see:

1.  Computed goto

2.  goto a line in a different function (more than setjmp/longjmp)

3.  Easy / standard access to registers

Computed goto's are good for interpreters.

Goto a line in a different function makes it easier to implement languages
with tail recursion without a trampoline.  (Or perhaps require C to support
tail recursion.)

Some sort of standard way to access registers makes it easier to implement
garbage collectors without resorting to assembler.

Blake McBride