[TUHS] Comments on "C"

Ronald Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Fri Sep 9 13:02:59 AEST 2016

> On Sep 8, 2016, at 6:06 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2016, Ron Natalie wrote:
>
>> Most of my complaints about C are because it's "standard" library was
>> awful back in the seventies and it really didn't improve much over the
>> years.
>
> That "portable I/O" library was certainly atrocious, but at least STDIO
> was an improvement.

Not much.   The functions have all of their portable IO library ugliness.   Don’t get me started on fread/fwrite.
Ane why gets and fgets have different semantics and all the various functions take the stream parameter in
different places.

My other C gripe is when they fixed the semantics of structure typing (somewhere between V6 and V7) that they
didn’t also make arrays full fledged types at the same time.    The silent treatment of array as a pointer to element when used as function parameters/return is just ludicrous.