[TUHS] Comments on "C"

Mary Ann Horton mah at mhorton.net
Sat Sep 10 07:15:29 AEST 2016

When I was at Berkeley working on my dissertation, I wrote a tool that
would let you edit a text file written in any language you could define
with a grammar, with syntax and semantic error checking while you
edited.  I had grammars for several popular (in 1980) languages.  The
only one I couldn't properly create a grammar for was C.

There were two problems:
1) typedef, which lets you create new words with syntax implications,
and
2) the preprocessor, which lets you get into all kinds of syntax trouble

   Mary Ann