[TUHS] BSD/v8 TCP/IP (was Shell control through external commands)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Mon Sep 12 14:44:32 AEST 2016

On Sunday, 11 September 2016 at 21:31:10 -0400, Norman Wilson wrote:

> -- Adopt 4.1c BSD kernel
>
> I don't think the BSD kernel when adopted had much, if any,
> of sockets, Berkeley's TCP/IP, McKusick's FFS; if it did,
> they were excised.

> TCP/IP support didn't show up until later, I think summer 1985,
> though it might have been a year later.

I'm confused.  4.1c has gone down in history as the first version with
Internet code, and looking at the sources (from mckusick's CD set), I
see the network files in /sys/netinet with names very reminiscent of
current FreeBSD file names.  The files have timestamps between
November 1982 and May 1983.  Why should they have been removed?  I
would have thought that exactly this functionality would have been the
reason why you adopted 4.1c.

Similarly, it also included FFS and (not surprisingly sockets.

I checked further back, but unfortunately the previous version on the
CDs is 4.1a, and it has no kernel code.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.