[TUHS] BSD/v8 TCP/IP (was Shell control through external commands)

Brantley Coile brantleycoile at me.com
Mon Sep 12 20:25:55 AEST 2016

SunOS-4.0 was released in December of 1988, if I remember correctly. I had a streams based tty driver sometime in 1987 and I was just duplicating what Dennis et al has done in the Labs.

But I brag. Dennis' streams paper was publicshed in the BTJ in October 1984.

Regarding Plan 9, the system I use today. In the 3rd edition the streams mechanisms were reduced to the Block structure to hold and pass data, and the Queue. The dynamic aspects removed because they were never used. There’s no tty in Plan 9 so no need for a tty line discipline .

  Brantley
  bwc at coraid.com
  http://coraid.com