[TUHS] BSD/v8 TCP/IP (was Shell control through external commands)

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Mon Sep 12 21:42:54 AEST 2016

Brantley Coile <brantleycoile at me.com> wrote:

> http://articles.latimes.com/1988-01-07/business/fi-33970_1_sun-microsystems
>
> You might have the year wrong. The agreement between AT&T and Sun was announced in 1988. A year would be about right to incorporate some of the new stuff.

Well, maybe I was mistaken and 1987 was the year of NeWS and 1988 was the year
of SunOS-4.0.

> But getting back to your original comment that you are not aware of any streams implementation before SunOS-4.0, do you mean that it was the first you became aware of? Certainly System V, from whence it came, predated SunOS-4.0 and 8th Edition predated that. My copy of the tty_ld(4) man page was printed Feb 10, 1985.

SVr4 was the first "SystemV" with a streams based tty driver and this driver
was the driver taken from SunOS-4.0. You can verify this by looking at the
bug-fix that was needed to make it work at all.

The AT&T concept had a bug as it did not allow to switch from raw mode to cooked mode
mode without loosing all characters in the buffer. Sun fixed this by
introducing a new mesage that says: Someone is going to read 5 chars, so
transfer 5 chars from the edit-buffer upstream but keep the rest.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin