[TUHS] BSD/v8 TCP/IP (was Shell control through external commands)

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Tue Sep 13 01:27:03 AEST 2016

Norman Wilson <norman at oclsc.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure of the point of this mine-is-bigger-than-yours argument, but:
>
> The earliest stream-I/O-system-based tty driver I'm aware of was
> already in the Research kernel when I interviewed at Bell Labs
> in early 1984.  I have a vague memory that it was a couple of
> years older than that, and was first implemented in a post-V7
> PDP-11 system; also that I had heard about it first at a USENIX
> conference in 1982 or 1983; but I cannot find any citations to
> back up either of those memories.

Because of the design bug I mentioned, I searched for UNIX sources from AT&T
that include streams support, but could never find any.

Sun fixed the bug aprox. one year after introducing SunOS-4.0. I am sure that
if someone did use a streams based system written from the AT&T specs together
with a modern shell with an integrated history editor, the character loss would
have been detected.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin