[TUHS] BSD/v8 TCP/IP

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Tue Sep 13 19:16:57 AEST 2016

Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:

> All modern shells use such an integrated history editor....
> >

> There is considerable difference on the meaning of "modern" with respect to
> this facility in recent shells, but this isn't the place for a holy war.

>From what I could read in the net (I was not able to get an old ksh source)
older ksh versions did call "vi" as external program to edit the history.

This is why there still is the idiosyncratic "fc" command in ksh. With this
interface, you could not type ahead as you first need to call "fc" to be able
to edit a command line. Without type aead, there is no character loss with the
original AT&T streams concept.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin