[TUHS] Ninth Edition incomplete?

Norman Wilson norman at oclsc.org
Wed Apr 5 07:01:32 AEST 2017

Joerg Schilling:

  Interesting that they created a name clash:

	"p" was the name of a pager on UNOS, the first realtime
	UNIX lookalike from former AT&T employees.

=====

p was something Rob Pike brought when he arrived in
1980.  I believe he wrote its first version several
years earlier, when he was at the University of Toronto.

Since UNOS dates from 1981 (says Wikipedia), I think
Rob's p gets precedence.

Not that it matters.  There never was, nor should there
ever have been, some global register of UNIX command
names during its formative years.  UNIX was a research
platform and a living work-in-progress until it became
productized in the latter part of the 1980s.

And, of course, UNOS was a lookalike written from scratch.
It wasn't UNIX.  If it wanted to be, it should have
adopted Rob's p!

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON
(Not in a particularly serious mood)