[TUHS] I just noticed all the cfont aka C++ in research

Jason Stevens jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com
Thu Apr 6 12:15:27 AEST 2017

I suppose that it would make sense that all of AT&T's leading edge projects would use research Unix.  I've always heard of the original C++ to C translator but this is the first time I've actually seen it.

It doesn't look like it had the wide scale following that C or Fortan had at this point.

Sadly my experience with C++ was mostly tied to Borland on the micro in early 90's, which makes it look mature compared to these early versions.

It's great finding stuff like this in the tree hiding in plain sight, if only you know what to look for. (http://unix.superglobalmegacorp.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/researchv9/cmd/cfront/?cvsroot=rv9)

Or that emacs was in the v9 tree, in the religious wars I always imagined NJ being more vi.

Thanks again for making this release happen!