[TUHS] Non-US Unix Activities

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Apr 8 05:56:57 AEST 2017

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> The problem is that some of them are still alive :-)

Oh, OK; I'll leave out the names...  This is the story of the Great Root
Password Disaster.

Way back at UNSW (University of New South Wales for the Aussie-bereft),
the major Unix players decided to use a common root password (yes,
really!) so that they could access each others' systems.  I was working
for the CSU (Computing Services Unit for the UNSW-bereft) and I thought it
was a stupid idea, and refused to join.

Well, the obvious happened...  The password must've been leaked (as
passwords do) because every box got hacked, except mine.  Naturally, I got
blamed for it; here's a chrome-plated hint: never blame me for something
that I did not do...  And I still don't know what their shared root
password was.

More stories as I dredge them up from my addled memory.