[TUHS] Non-US Unix Activities

Steve Johnson scj at yaccman.com
Sat Apr 8 08:08:48 AEST 2017

At AT&T, the evolution from B to C was quite smooth, as was the
evolution of C itself.   Most B programs were converted to "nb" (the
first C incarnation) by hacking on the character strings and putting
in some types where needed.   It wasn't a big deal.  So I'd be
surprised if there were substantial B programs that survived.

One lesson learned that I've never forgotten is how smooth it is to
evolve a language using the following process:

	* Announce that the change is coming and explain why
	* Change the compiler to accept both the old and new syntax
	* Produce a simple warning message when the old syntax was used, but
make it still work
	* Produce a more complicated, verbose message, but still make it work
	* Produce a message that says "After date xxxx, the old stuff won't
work any more"
	* On the date, change the warning to fatal, but keep recognizing the
old syntax and emit "Error: You used the old xxx, change to the new
one"
	* Eventually, stop recognizing the old syntax and remove the message.

	Dennis was a master at this strategy, so things like the otherwise
painful evolution of changing =+ to += went well.
Steve