[TUHS] Happy birthday, Internet!

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Apr 8 15:13:42 AEST 2017

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> > Actual data transmissions were first made on October 29 later that
> > year. If my two-minute research checks out.
>
> Yes, this was my date, too, though I call it 30 October (UTC).
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Internet#ARPANET

This is a problem that I regularly face, when keeping a global calendar.

I'm in Australia (Sydney time), which is pretty much at the leading edge
of the dateline, but most of America is close to the trailing edge, and
therefore events can happen "yesterday".

So, which reference should I use?  My time, US time (for US events), or
UTC?  I'm starting to lean towards the latter, but it's equally confusing;
I'll have people saying that it happened yesterday, by their reference.

I dimly recall that the moon landings were on GMT (not the same as UTC),
for example.