[TUHS] 4.3 Wisc file transfer

Henry Bent henry.r.bent at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 14:26:37 AEST 2017

I haven't worked too much with 4.3BSD but I have worked extensively with
Ultrix 1 which is basically 4.2.  If you can get a relatively recent gmake
and gcc 2 going, that should be enough to get bash 2 built, and from there
you can use that to run configure scripts with LIBS=-liberty which should
be enough for most smaller programs.  Perl 5.6 should be possible. If you
really want a web server, maybe try thttpd.  MySQL/PHP/WebDAV seem like a
pipe dream, 4.3BSD doesn't have dynamic loading and even if you can get
around that you're still going to run into memory limitations in a big
hurry.

Personally, I just set up rsh so that I can use rcp to move files in and
out. Setting up rsh on a modern OS can be a pain but it's still much
simpler than most of what is being proposed here. I find that life is much
easier if you look at what tools are available in the historic OS and find
a way to use those with a modern OS, rather than the other way around.

Oh, and I'm not sure what the 4.3BSD default is, but make sure your
interface isn't using trailers. They don't play well with modern networking.

-Henry