[TUHS] SunOS 4 documentation

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Thu Apr 13 12:13:33 AEST 2017

On 2017-04-12 7:31 PM, Larry McVoy wrote:
> All done in troff I believe.  Though not for long, I think they switched
> to framemaker around then.
>
> Whoops, I'm wrong, I looked, that's clearly framemaker.  Sigh.  I love me
> some troff, even to this day.  I really really really wish that someone
> had done framemaker, word, whatever, that was the GUI interface that had
> troff under the covers.  Why?  Because you can version control the source

You can get really really close to that dream with TeX based tools like
LyX, etc (and indeed Blue Sky Research had a wysiwyg TeX system back in
the late 1980s).

While troff can get stuff done in its area, for heavy duty work and
exacting typography, TeX's markup blows troff out of the water, I am afraid.

--Toby
(typesetter/typographer/TeX porter)