[TUHS] SunOS 4 documentation

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Thu Apr 13 12:20:29 AEST 2017

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 10:13:33PM -0400, Toby Thain wrote:
> On 2017-04-12 7:31 PM, Larry McVoy wrote:
> >All done in troff I believe.  Though not for long, I think they switched
> >to framemaker around then.
> >
> >Whoops, I'm wrong, I looked, that's clearly framemaker.  Sigh.  I love me
> >some troff, even to this day.  I really really really wish that someone
> >had done framemaker, word, whatever, that was the GUI interface that had
> >troff under the covers.  Why?  Because you can version control the source
>
> You can get really really close to that dream with TeX based tools like LyX,
> etc (and indeed Blue Sky Research had a wysiwyg TeX system back in the late
> 1980s).

I know, my dad wrote a book with Blue Sky Research's stuff.

> While troff can get stuff done in its area, for heavy duty work and exacting
> typography, TeX's markup blows troff out of the water, I am afraid.

I'd like to learn more about that.  I'd done a ton of stuff in troff,
had to do a paper recently in LaTex and I did not find it at all better.
It was a technical paper, usual stuff, text and tables and figures
and references.  I'm not great at LaTex so maybe it's just my bias
but I really like troff.  In fairness, I like groff, I got James to hack
some stuff into pic for me.

But it started with troff.  I still remember walking out of the computer
science bookstore with a copy of the troff manual.  That was sort of my
introduction to Unix and it fits.

--
---