[TUHS] TeX/troff/typesetting markups - Re: SunOS 4 documentation

Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri andreas.kahari at icm.uu.se
Fri Apr 14 01:41:31 AEST 2017

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 10:25:02PM -0400, Toby Thain wrote:
> On 2017-04-12 10:16 PM, Steve Nickolas wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Apr 2017, Toby Thain wrote:
> >
> > > You can get really really close to that dream with TeX based tools
> > > like LyX, etc (and indeed Blue Sky Research had a wysiwyg TeX system
> > > back in the late 1980s).
> > >
> > > While troff can get stuff done in its area, for heavy duty work and
> > > exacting typography, TeX's markup blows troff out of the water, I am
> > > afraid.
> >
> > Heh, yeah. I'd defy anyone to typeset a Bible with troff, but I did it
> > reasonably well with XeLaTeX.
>
> I did a 400+ page novel in it once. This had a few benefits. One was that
> the same markup could generate double spaced typewriter-style printouts for
> the novelist to bind and scribble his corrections on, while at the same time
> producing the final plate-ready negatives for the printer.
>
> Sadly I'm not called much to use it any more but it's a tangible pleasure
> when I do.
>
> (Although I have to say that I don't like CMR much.)
>
> --T

Hi all,

Some years ago, I did part of the proof-reading for the UTP revival
project (UTP = the book "Unix Text Processing", the original sources of
the book were sadly lost) since I happened to own a copy of the book
itself and quite enjoyed using troff for all sorts of things.

If anyone's interested, I believe the final product (PDf and sources)
may be found at

    ftp://ftp.ffii.org/pub/groff/contrib/documentation/utp/

Regards,
Kusalananda (Andreas Kähäri)