[TUHS] TeX/troff/typesetting markups - Re: SunOS 4 documentation

Michael Kerpan madcrow.maxwell at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 00:23:34 AEST 2017

Comparing documents produced by Heirloom troff and modern versions of
LaTeX, I just can't see a huge difference. The main thing TeX has going for
it is LyX, which makes composing documents a whole lot more comfortable for
folks raised on WYSIWYG. If a tool like that was available for troff...

Mike

On 2017-04-14 9:56 AM, Michael Kerpan wrote:

> Of course, these days, there's a version of troff that borrows TeX's
> layout rules, while also adding vastly improved font handling, support
> for the most useful/widely used groff extensions, and more. Why Heirloom
> troff isn't more widely used is a puzzle for the ages.

No matter how far you tart up the former, Troff and TeX just aren't playing
the same ballgame.

--T