[TUHS] Bourne shell and comments

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Thu Apr 20 02:31:53 AEST 2017

On 04/18/2017 06:50 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> What's cool about ':' vs. '#' is:
> Stick that in your .env and you get a snarf-and-barf'able shell
> prompt that evals as a noop.  Blatantly ripped off from plan9port
> IIRC.  I run this across all manner of *BSD and Solaris and Linux and
> it just works.

I think you're effectively doing the same thing that I'm doing by having
my prompt start with '#', thus turning copy & paste ""errors into
pasting comments.  Just a difference of a '#' comment character and a
':' label.

I see little difference between ':' and '#' in this case.

Please help me understand if I'm wrong.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die