[TUHS] Bourne shell and comments

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Fri Apr 21 13:43:31 AEST 2017

From the horse’s mouth (as per https://www.talisman.org/~erlkonig/documents/dennis-ritchie-and-hash-bang.shtml ):

From: "Ritchie, Dennis M (Dennis)** CTR **" <dmr at research.bell-labs.com>
To: <erlĸonigⓐtαlismαn.org>

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:37:37 -0600
Subject: RE: What do -you- call your #!<something> line?

 I can't recall that we ever gave it a proper name.
It was pretty late that it went in--I think that I
got the idea from someone at one of the UCB conferences
on Berkeley Unix; I may have been one of the first to
actually install it, but it was an idea that I got
from elsewhere.

As for the name: probably something descriptive like
"hash-bang" though this has a specifically British flavor, but
in any event I don't recall particularly using a pet name
for the construction.

   Regards,
   Dennis

[Sorry about the html]