[TUHS] There is turmoil in Linux-land - When did rm first avoid going upwards?

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Tue Apr 25 07:59:33 AEST 2017

Having done exactly this with one of my own systems back in the early
90's, I decided to test this out - I have some Solaris 8 VM's that I was
able to clone easily and rip off the networking.

kilowatt# mkdir a
kilowatt# cd a
kilowatt# touch .a .b .c
kilowatt# rm -rf .*
kilowatt# ls -a
.   ..
kilowatt# rm -rf .*
rm of . is not allowed
rm of .. is not allowed

Now I need to go check some of the other VM's I have of early SVR4... I
think it was either SunOS or an early SVR4 where this had catastrophic
results :)