[TUHS] Apple Darwin 0.1 and 0.3 sort of running on x86!

Derrik Walker v2.0 dwalker at doomd.net
Tue Apr 25 13:05:03 AEST 2017

On 04/24/2017 09:50 PM, Jason Stevens wrote:
> I don't know if this is of any interest to anyone here, but 1999 is 18 years
> ago, so maybe it counts as old?
>
> Over on nextcomputers.org various users had found a backup of next68k.org
> which included a wget of the old source
>
> http://nextftp.onionmixer.net/next.68k.org/otto/html/pub/Darwin/PublicSource
> /Darwin/index.html
>
> So I found a copy of Rhapsody DR-2, the last binary version of this Mach
> 2.5+4.4BSD and after a day got a kernel to build.  Another day and I had it
> interfacing to the driverkit to load drivers.
>
> After a post on reddit someone gave me a link to some kdx p2p network, where
> they had a Darwin 0.3 toast image.
>
> using what I learned with Darwin 0.1 I got the 0.3 to build as well.
>
> I uploaded a bunch of stuff here:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/aapl-darwin/
>
> although it seems to not let me upload the toast images themselves.
>
> I did slam together a minimal Darwin 0.3 qemu image that can sort-of boot to
> single user mode.  It's not even slightly useful, but it does show that it
> works.
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/aapl-darwin/files/qemu-images/Darwin03_qemu
> 090_24_4_2017.7z/download

Wow! Thanks. This is stuff I've not thought of in eons. I use to play
around with early Darwin releases on my Power Mac I had at the time.

I use to have a website dedicated to things I figured out. I even helped
the author of the Mac Perl book, Chris Nandor, get his Darwin box (
which didn't have GUI at the time ), on the internet.

- Derrik

--
-- Derrik

Derrik Walker v2.0, RHCE
dwalker at doomd.net

"Those UNIX guys, they think weird!" -- John C. Dvorak