[TUHS] CSTR 122 on CHEM?

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Fri Aug 18 04:38:30 AEST 2017

On 17 Aug 2017 11:58 -0600, from arnold at skeeve.com:
>> http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/122.ps.gz
>
> OK, so how do I actually get the file?  I seem to not be able to figure
> out how the Wayback machine works. :-(

Here's a quick way to get the _most recently archived_ version of a
URL from the Wayback Machine:

Take https://web.archive.org/web/99991232235959/

Append the URL of interest, including protocol.

That would be
https://web.archive.org/web/99991232235959/http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/122.ps.gz

Feed that to your web browser or other HTTP client.

It will redirect to the most recent version, which in this case
appears to be
https://web.archive.org/web/20070203045131/http://cm.bell-labs.com:80/cm/cs/cstr/122.ps.gz

Alternatively, you need Javascript enabled to see on which dates they
archived the URL in question (that'd be the '*' variant, except I
access the Wayback Machine over HTTPS), then hover over a colored date
to see the list of snapshots on that date, then click the time link to
go to that version of the URL.

They used to have until recently a UI that didn't require executing
client-side Javascript... I suppose that's called progress.

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se