[TUHS] CSTR files

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Mon Aug 28 14:10:22 AEST 2017

On 2017-08-27 11:04 PM, Doug McIlroy wrote:
>> As a *roff fan, I'd love, love, love to see the original roff sources.
>> Especially anything that uses pic/eqn/chem/etc.
>
> I have the source for CSTR 155, a trilogy on raster ellipses. It uses
> interesting preprocessors that are, alas, mostly lost: ideal, prefer, eqn.
> (If anybody has ideal, I'd love to get it. Even its author, Chris Van Wyk,
> doesn't have it.)

<aside> When people wonder why digital archiving and preservation is so
incredibly hard -- situations like this perfectly illustrate why. </aside>

More on topic though: I'm a typographer with an interest in markup
languages, since I used them commercially in the 1980s (mostly TeX, but
with a large personal macro library, hence invoking the problem above,
if the source documents had even been archived, which they were not --
an even more basic problem).

I'm interested in reading John Labovitz' history, for sure.

--Toby