[TUHS] signals and blocked in I/O

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Dec 2 02:24:06 AEST 2017

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 8:44 AM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> Does anyone remember the reason that processes blocked in I/O don't catch
> signals?  When did that become a thing, was that part of the original
> design or did that happen in BSD?
>
> I'm asking because I'm banging on FreeBSD and I can wedge it hard, to
> the point that it won't recover, by just beating on tons of memory.

It depends on the I/O, really, if the signal will work. If we're waiting
for I/O to arrive at a character device, for example, you can signal all
day long (the TTY driver depends on this, for example).

In old-school BSD, processes in disk wait state were blocked in the
filesystem layer (typically) waiting for an I/O to complete. I don't know
which came first, but I know the code is quite dependent on the I/O not
returning half-baked. There's no way cancel the I/O once it's started. And
the I/O can also be decoupled from the original process if it's being done
by one of the system threads, so you could be waiting on an I/O to complete
so a page is valid that may have been started by someone else. Tracking
back which process to signal in such circumstances is tricky. The
filesystem code assumes the buffer cache actually caches the page, so the
pages are invalid while the I/O is in progress.

Plus pages are wired for the I/O, and generally marked as invalid so any
access on them faults. Processes receiving signals in that state may need
to exit, but couldn't until those pages are unwired, so even SIGKILL there
would be useless until the I/O completed.

But I think your issues aren't so much I/O as free pages. You need free
pages in order to make progress in running your process. W/o them, you bog
down badly. The root cause is poor page laundering behavior: the system
isn't able to clean enough pages to keep up with the demand. I'm not so
sure it's signals, per se...

Warner