[TUHS] signals and blocked in I/O

Chris Torek torek at torek.net
Sat Dec 2 05:10:25 AEST 2017

FYI, the way signals actually work is that they are delivered
only by crossing through the user/kernel boundary.  (That mostly
even includes those that kill a process entirely, except that
there's some optimizations there for some cases.  If the CPU
is running in user space for some *other* process, we have to
arrange for the signalled process to be scheduled to run, or
if it's on another CPU, take an interrupt so as to get into the
kernel and hence cross that boundary.)

This part is natural, since signal delivery means "run a function
in user space, with user privileges". If you're currently *in*
the kernel on behalf of some user process, that means you have to
get *out* of it in that same process.

This is why signals interrupt system calls, making them return
with EINTR.  To avoid having system calls that haven't really
started -- have not done anything yet -- from returning EINTR,
the BSD and POSIX SA_RESTART options work by just making the
"resume" program counter address point back to the "make system
call" instruction.  Essentially:

    frame->pc -= instruction_size;

This can't be done if the system call has actually done something,
so read() or write() on a slow device like a tty will return a
short count (not -1 and EINTR).

The BSD implementation these days is to call the various *sleep
kernel functions (msleep, tsleep, etc) with PCATCH "or"-ed into
the priority to indicate that it is OK to have a signal interrupt
the sleep.  If so, the sleep call returns ERESTART (a special
error code that the syscall handler notices and does the "subtract
from frame->pc" trick).  In the old days, PCATCH was implied by
the sleep priority; all we did was make it an explicit flag,
and do manual unwinding (the V6 kernel used the equivalent of
longjmp to get to the EINTR-returner so that the main line code
path did not have to check).  The I/O subsystem generally calls
*sleep without PCATCH, though.

Chris