[TUHS] signals and blocked in I/O

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Dec 2 10:48:50 AEST 2017

On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 03:42:15PM -0800, Bakul Shah wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Dec 2017 15:09:34 -0800 Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
> Larry McVoy writes:
> > On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 11:03:02PM +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> > > Hi Larry,

> > > Is that because the pages have been dirty for so long they've reached
> > > the VM-writeback timeout even though there's no pressure to use them for
> > > something else?  Or has that been lengthened because you don't fear
> > > power loss wiping volatile RAM?
> >
> > I'm tinkering with the pageout daemon so I'm trying to apply memory
> > pressure.  I have 10 25GB processes (25GB malloced) and the processes just
> > walk the memory over and over.  This is on a 256GB main memory machine
> > (2 socket haswell, 28 cpus, 28 1TB SSDs, on loan from Netflix).
>
> How many times do processes walk their memory before this condition
> occurs?

Until free memory goes to ~0.  That's the point, I'm trying to
improve things when there is too much pressure on memory.

> So what may be happening is that a process references a page,
> it page faults, the kernel finds its phys page has been paged
> out, so it looks for a free page and once a free page is
> found, the process will block on page in. Or if there is no
> free page, it has to wait until some other dirty page is paged
> out (but this would be a different wait queue).  As more and
> more processes do this, the system runs out of all free pages.

Yeah.

> Can you find out how many processes are waiting under what
> conditions, how long they wait and how these queue lengths are
> changing over time?

So I have 10 processes, they all run until the system starts to
thrash, then they are all in wait mode for memory but there isn't
any (and there is no swap configured).

The fundamental problem is that they are sleeping waiting for memory to
be freed.  They are NOT in I/O mode, there is no DMA happening, this is
main memory, it is not backed by swap, there is no swap.  So they are
sleeping waiting for the pageout daemon to free some memory.  It's not
going to free their memory because there is no place to stash (no swap).
So it's trying to free other memory.

The real question is where did they go to sleep and why did they sleep
without PCATCH on?  If I can find that place where they are trying to
alloc a page and failed and they go to sleep there, I could either

a) commit seppuku because we are out of memory and I'm part of the problem
b) go into a sleep / wakeup / check signals loop

I am reminded by you all that we ask the process to do it to itself but
there does seem to be a way to sleep and respect signals, the tty stuff
does that.  So if I can find this place, determine that I'm just asking
for memory, not I/O, and sleep with PCATCH on then I might be golden.

Where "golden" means I can kill the process and the OOM thread could do
it for me.

Thoughts?