[TUHS] signals and blocked in I/O

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Tue Dec 5 02:58:20 AEST 2017

I've had some strange experiences with Solaris 11, where if I didn't
have enough swap, I'd get OOM issues with Oracle databases (SGA) on
startup and other various things.

While Oracle docs say it's OK to have a small swap area if you have
plenty of RAM, I've experienced the exact opposite. If the ZFS arc is
large (and it always is), and something needs memory, if there isn't
enough swap to "guarantee" the allocation, the allocation will fail.
(Disregarding the fact that the ZFS arc can be tuned, and now Solaris
11.3 has an even better setting, user_reserve_hint_pct). It won't wait
to flush out ZFS arc to make room, it'll just fail outright.

With a huge swap area that's at least half the size of RAM (in boxes
that range from 96GB to 256GB), even though it'll never touch the swap,
it works just fine.

Now, I understand your issue is with BSD, but if it's ZFS, perhaps
there's something not-so-different about the two environments.

$.02