[TUHS] ARPAnet now 4 nodes

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Dec 5 09:42:39 AEST 2017

    > From: Dave Horsfall

    > The ARPAnet reached four nodes on this day in 1969 (anyone know which?)

SRI, UCSD, UCLA, Utah:

  http://www.chiappa.net/~jnc/tech/arpageo.html

All West Coast, plus Utah. Next was BBN; if you look at the IMP numbers, in
HOSTS.TXT, they were assigned in order of installation.

    > at least one "history" site reckoned the third node was connected in
    > 1977 ...  Well, I can believe that perhaps there were only three left by
    > then...

No:

   http://www.chiappa.net/~jnc/tech/arpalog.html

1977 was not too many years before the peak in size (with the MILNET split
coming in October, 1983). Per:

  http://www.chiappa.net/~jnc/tech/arpanet.html

"Prior to the split, in 1983, there were 113 IMPs in the ARPANET; after the
ARPANET/MILNET split, the MILNET consisted of 65 nodes, leaving the ARPANET
with 68 nodes."

     Noel