[TUHS] ARPAnet now 4 nodes

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Dec 5 13:43:49 AEST 2017

    > From: Deborah Scherrer

    > I don't know about the historical record. But everything I said is true,
    > based on my own personal experience. ... I was there, this happened.  If
    > people didn't write it down, I don't know why.

FWIW, I was actually at many of those meetings. (You can find my name in a lot
of those Meeting Notes.) Nobody from LBL, or UCB in general, was involved -
and the Meeting Notes (which, you will note, are quite detailed) indicate the
same thing.

(Later on, of course, Van Jacobson of LBL did some imporant work on TCP
congestion control, but that was in '87 or so - I can't instantly lay my hands
on my copy of Van's famous e-mail, to get a more exact date - some years after
the full-scale deployment of TCP/IP in January, 1983.)

    > Why would I misrepresent?

Perhaps you are conflating several different things in your memory? Human
memory is very fallible, which is why historians prefer contemporary documents
(and even those sometimes have errors). Here:

  http://www.chiappa.net/~jnc/nontech/tmlotus.html

is a mildly amusing example (from a completely different arena) of all that.

   Noel