[TUHS] ARPAnet now 4 nodes

William Cheswick ches at cheswick.com
Wed Dec 6 00:52:17 AEST 2017

I really wonder how the CDC link worked.  The channels were electrically strange, and certainly not easily amenable to communicating with anything other than CDC controllers or perhaps a serial line through one of the front ends.

I did hear of a proposal at NADC around 1977 to try to hook into telnet and ftp from a CDC using some hack of the serial stuff.  The idea didn’t impress me: it would have taken a lot of hacking to get a kludge working.  It always took a lot to make CDC hardware play well with others.