[TUHS] What UNIX Artifacts Are Still Missing?

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Wed Dec 6 08:45:47 AEST 2017

Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> asks on Wed, 6 Dec 2017 08:21:13 +1000:

>>  - more details on who was Ted Bashkow, and the story behind his (+ others?)

I found a short obituary at

	http://engineering.columbia.edu/web/newsletter/spring_2010/memoriam

which is, in full:

>> Theodore R. Bashkow Dr. Theodore R. Bashkow, professor emeritus of
>> electricial engineering and computer science, died Dec. 23, 2009, at
>> his home in Katonah, N.Y.  See PDF version
>>
>> He was born in St. Louis, Mo., and attended Washington University,
>> where he received his BS degree in mechanical engineering. He went on
>> to receive his master’s and doctorate degrees at Stanford
>> University. He served in the U.S. Air Force as a first lieutenant
>> during World War II from 1943 to 1945.
>>
>> While in the Air Force, he served as maintenance officer and helped to
>> stage the Enola Gay. In the 1950s, while at Bell Labs, Professor
>> Bashkow became well known for his development of a new method for
>> analyzing linear electrical networks, Professor Bashkow’s A matrix. He
>> also became involved with digital computers. He joined the faculty of
>> the Columbia Electrical Engineering Department in 1958 and helped
>> transform the Electrical Engineering Department into the Department of
>> Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.
>>
>> When, in 1979, this department was divided into the Electrical
>> Engineering and Computer Science departments, Bashkow became one of
>> the founding faculty members of Computer Science. He taught courses in
>> digital logic, computer organization, and computer programming. He did
>> research on parallel processing. In collaboration with Herbert
>> Sullivan, he pioneered a new approach to that subject through the
>> development of CHoPP, Columbia Homogeneous Parallel Processor, a
>> large-scale, homogeneous, fully distributed parallel machine. A number
>> of Columbia graduate students and a junior faculty member, David
>> Klappholz, were also involved at various stages.
>>
>> In 1980, the Computer Science Department instituted an annual award in
>> his honor, the Theodore R. Bashkow Award. Among his many affiliations,
>> Professor Bashkow was an active member of IEEE, ACM, and Sigma Xi
>> organizations.

He is apparently not in Wikipedia.

I then searched our local bibliography archives and found this
publication-title summary (Bashkow is an uncommon name, so I didn't
attempt to disambiguate the reported articles):

MariaDB [bibtex]> select filename, label, substr(title,1,80) from bibtab where (author like '%Bashkow%') order by year, filename;
+-------------------------+--------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| filename                | label              | substr(title,1,80)                                                               |
+-------------------------+--------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| jacm.bib                | Bashkow:1958:CPR   | A ``Curve Plotting'' Routine for the Inverse Laplace Transform of Rational Funct |
| ieeetranscomput.bib     | Bashkow:1963:RDA   | R63-106 The D 825 Automatic Operating and Scheduling Program                     |
| ieeetranscomput.bib     | Bashkow:1963:C     | Contributors                                                                     |
| ieeetranscomput.bib     | Bashkow:1963:PSD   | A Programming System for Detection and Diagnosis of Machine Malfunctions         |
| ieeetranscomput.bib     | Bashkow:1964:SCA   | A Sequential Circuit for Algebraic Statement Translation                         |
| fortran1.bib            | Bashkow:1967:SDF   | System Design of a FORTRAN Machine                                               |
| ieeetranscomput.bib     | Bashkow:1967:SDF   | System Design of a FORTRAN Machine                                               |
| ieeetranscomput1970.bib | Bashkow:1971:BSS   | B71-6 System Structure in Data, Programs, and Computers                          |
| ieeetranscomput1970.bib | Bashkow:1971:BIC   | B71-2 Introduction to Computer Organization                                      |
| ieeetranscomput1970.bib | Bashkow:1973:CRO   | Comment on Review of Operating Systems Survey                                    |
| ovr.bib                 | Sullivan77b        | A Large Scale, Homogeneous, Fully Distributed Parallel Machine                   |
| ovr.bib                 | Sullivan77a        | A Large Scale Homogeneous Fully Distributed Parallel Machine                     |
| sigarch.bib             | Sullivan:1977:LSHb | A Large Scale, Homogenous, Fully Distributed Parallel Machine, II                |
| sigarch.bib             | Sullivan:1977:LSHa | A large scale, homogeneous, fully distributed parallel machine, I                |
| ieeetranscomput1980.bib | Ghafoor:1989:BFT   | Bisectional Fault-Tolerant Communication Architecture for Supercomputer Systems  |
| super.bib               | Ghafoor:1989:BFT   | Bisectional Fault-Tolerant Communication Architecture for Supercomputer Systems  |
| ieeetranscomput1990.bib | Ghafoor:1991:SOG   | A study of odd graphs as fault-tolerant interconnection networks                 |
17 rows in set (2.67 sec)