[TUHS] What UNIX Artifacts Are Still Missing?

Robert Swierczek rmswierczek at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 10:00:24 AEST 2017

I am also interested in the early development of networked GUI's that
led to the X Window System.  According to Wikipedia there was a W
Window System that predated X.  Early research on networked GUI's was
done on the V Operating System which included a Virtual Graphics
Terminal Service (VGTS) providing a modular window system for local
and remote clients (which led to W, which led to X.)

I suppose they are not on the main-line of UNIX artifacts, but they
definitely influenced the modern UNIX experience (the workstation era
onward to the present.)

None of my Google searching has yielded any scrap of those early efforts.