[TUHS] V7 Addendem

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Dec 7 00:29:42 AEST 2017

An observation ... in reading the last few days emails, I fear there may be
some confusion - there were two different tapes.  The infamous 'patch tape'
that Lou was discussing was patches to the *Sixth Edition* which I want to
say '76 or 77 timeframe (should be able to be dated by when Chesson
graduated from UofI and Ken was on his way to UCB for a sabbatical).

I can date this because we had a copy of the patch tape at CMU at least by
I think late '77/early '78 when I was hacking full-time for the EE Dept.
 CS had switched from the Fifth Edition on their systems, which was my
introduction.   I would eventually bring up 6th on an original 11/34 (not a
34A).   The 11/34 did not 'just work' due to some small differences between
the 11/40 and the 11/34 and remember having to do it from first principles
borrowing a hacked CS system (11/40e), that had CSR/CRET stuff in their
compiler, so I went back to just booting Ken's original tape, hacking until
both 11/34 and the 11/40 boot and then having to reapplied the patches,
because I wanted to make sure I did get polluted with the 11/40e stuff.

The V7 addendum was obviously post Seventh Edition.  The Seventh Edition
was released in 1979 for general availability**; although it's direct
predecessor (UNIX/TS) which was not officially released made its way to
number of places such as MIT and CMU via OYOCs and summer students as Noel
and I have pointed out in the past.   Noel (MIT) and I (CMU) both had
heavily hacked systems that were combo's of V6, PWB [1.0], UNIX/TS plus
local additions.  UNIX/TS had a newer kernel, updated FS and the compiler
that was released with troff - a.k.a. 'Typesetter C'  [Historical note -
this was the system Ted with a small amount of help from me, used to create
fsck].

If I recall the V7 'addendum' is in reference to the later (post 1980) V7
distribution tapes, that had one more file on it with some
additions/corrections from Research as Doug mentioned.  IIRC: The first V7
tapes that went out in '79 (such as the ones I recieved at CMU and then
Tektronix) did not have that file and the copy said tape I have home is
missing it (I just checked the label).

Clem

**V7 GA was in Feb '79 I think, I can not find my copy of Al Arm's letter
to the licensees announcing it, I seem to have lost it - any other pack
rat/old f*rt please check your files.