[TUHS] shell PS1/PS2 which survive cut-paste

Ian Zimmerman itz at very.loosely.org
Thu Dec 7 01:14:49 AEST 2017

On 2017-12-06 16:01, George Michaelson wrote:

> I used fmt all the time in vi, to get <72 for mail in MH. which led me
> to find other things you can pipe the editor lines through...

Exactly!  Just put a trivial script in front of the /bin/sh in the pipe
to strip the undesirable stuff like prompts.  I do this for browsing
URLs in mail bodies which may be split across multiple lines or
otherwise mangled.

With emacs, you don't even need an extra process, because the demangling
can be programmed in lisp.