[TUHS] V7 Addendem [ really lawyers and AT&T consent decree ]

Jon Steinhart jon at fourwinds.com
Thu Dec 7 04:58:38 AEST 2017

Warner Losh writes:
> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 11:49 AM, Jon Steinhart <jon at fourwinds.com> wrote:
> >
> > During the primaries when Ted Cruz would stand up and hold a dial phone
> > and say "this is what government regulation got you" I always thought
> > "Yeah, give me more of that.  It's 60 years old, still works better than
> > what you can get today, and if you hurl it across the room it'll still
> > work which is more than you can say for anything made post-split."
> >

> We traded reliability for cat videos and any kind of porn you'd ever want
> (and sever you wouldn't!)
>
> Warner

Exactly.  I remember Dick Hause (?) doing a nice graphical demo on the Glance
G that showed how the phone system routed around faults and was able to because
of the "there shall be a minimum of three paths out of any exchange" rule.  A
while back my long distance went out because someone hit a phone pole 40 miles
away.  Couldn't even call to report it because support was in Seattle and there
was no path there from here; that was the only route.

Something to keep in mind with the internet.  While TCP/IP is great for routing
around trouble it can only do so when there are alternate routes.  Seem to be
fewer and fewer of these.

Jon