[TUHS] V7 Addendem [ really lawyers and AT&T consent decree ]

Kurt H Maier khm at sciops.net
Thu Dec 7 06:30:57 AEST 2017

On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 07:23:00PM +0000, William Corcoran wrote:
> Well,  sure in 1963 the T1 carrier was a huge pipe.  It was a huge pipe in 1970.   It was also a huge pipe in 1980 for business.   (Not so for the telcos, as ATT had Metrobus in the 80’s and the telcos had SONET in the 90’s—-completely inaccessible but to the largest corporations)
>
> However, today, I have Fios with nearly 1 Gigabit up and down for a small fee.
>
> Thank you Judge Greene!
>
> (Let’s not forget, I now have access to a working v7 for free where the license previously cost $28,000.)

But that was the flip side of being allowed to maintain a monopoly --
you could get phone service damn near anywhere, while getting FiOS
service is possible only in geographic regions small enough to be a
rounding error compared to POTS penetration.  Near-universal service was
the burden AT&T was required to bear.  Now, nobody is bearing it.

The current state of bandwidth is great if you're in the right place at
the right time.  For everyone else in the US nothing is getting better.
Even 100mbit service is unavailable to the majority of the nation, let
alone laughably bizarre requests like "reliability."

khm