[TUHS] Grace Hopper

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Dec 9 09:26:39 AEST 2017

(At the risk of being flamed because it's not strictly Unix...)

We gained Rear Admiral Grace Hopper on this day in 1906; known as "Amazing
Grace", she was a remarkable woman, both in computers and the Navy.  She
coined the term "debugging" when she extracted a moth from a set of relay
contacts from a computer (the Harvard Mk I) and wrote "computer debugged"
in the log, taping the deceased Lepidoptera in there as well.  She was
convinced that computers could be programmed in an English-like language
and developed Flow-Matic, which in turn became, err, COBOL...  She was
posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2016 by Barack
Obama.