[TUHS] Card reader on Unix

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sun Dec 10 10:23:29 AEST 2017

Something's been bothering me for a while...  I've just remembered that
our 11/40 with more peripherals than you could shake a stick at -- it had
just about everything except a DECtape -- also had, so help me, a card
reader!  As I dimly recall, 'twas a slow CDC (?) model; we didn't have it
for long, either because it was on loan or because it was so unreliable, I
simply don't remember.

Anyway, our driver handled it in two modes: you either got a raw image of
each card (likely via DMA instead of column by column, but I could be
wrong) i.e. 80 words with each column of 12 holes fitting nicely into a
16-bit word, or there was a half-arsed attempt at converting EBCDIC to
ASCII, with trailing blanks replaced by a newline (i.e. think of it as a
line printer in reverse).  Or was it converting from whatever KRONOS used
to ASCII?

Now, what I *distinctly* remember was writing two scripts: "/etc/cdc" and
"/etc/dec" which switched between the two modes, quite likely by patching
the in-core kernel!

I'd give a testicle to have that "CSU tape" back again (and no doubt so
would Warren), but can anyone else remember this (or dare to call me a
liar; yes, I'm still touchy about that)?  The snag is, towards the end of
the CSU before they were about to be engulfed by the admin suits and
forced to support payroll programs in COBOL etc, I was the only senior
Unix bod left, so it's unlikely that the CSU source code followed someone
else home...