[TUHS] Origin of "bug" (was: Grace Hopper)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Sun Dec 10 13:20:09 AEST 2017

On Saturday,  9 December 2017 at 16:30:57 -0800, Bakul Shah wrote:
> May be it is derived from ???bugbear???? As per Merriam-Webster:
> 1) an imaginary goblin or specter used to excite fear
> 2) a source of dread, a continuing source of irritation: a problem.
> First known use 1552.

OED suggests that both our "bug" and "bugbear" are derived from "bug"
(An insect or other arthropod).  It agrees with the 1552 date:

1552 R. King Funerall Serm. sig. F.iiiiv Momishe mopers whiche can do
     none other thyng else, but mope vppon ther bookes, to make vs
     afraied of shadowes and buggeberes.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.