[TUHS] net neutrality

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Dec 12 06:10:22 AEST 2017

    > From: Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com>

    > look at the history, various ISPs like Verizon, Comcast, etc, have done
    > stuff like block bittorrent, skype, etc

Bittorrent is a complex situation, some ISPs were ordered by a court to block
it.

As to Skype, I agree ISPs shouldn't block sites - but if you read my message,
I already said that.

    > The problem is I paid for the bits.  Bits is bits.  I paid for a rate,
    > that's what they got paid for, why should they get to charge a second
    > time for the same bits? That's exactly what they want to do.

Fine, you pay your money, you get X Mbits/second.

If you (or the site you're getting bits from) wants _more_ than X
Mbits/second, charging you - or them, which is I gather mostly what ISPs want
to do - for that privilege is a problem... how?

   Noel