[TUHS] V7 Addendem [ really lawyers and AT&T consent decree ]

Steve Johnson scj at yaccman.com
Tue Dec 12 10:27:17 AEST 2017

I don't dispute anything you said, but I think there is another
element.  It was simply an element of faith that to send voice you
needed to have a guaranteed rate of speed.  Thus the interest in
time-division multiplexing.  Deeply built into the Bell System
mentality was the notion that you shouldn't offer service unless it is
good service.  Thus the dial tone -- if the network was jammed, they
didn't let you make a call.  But the ones that got through ran with
no problems...

Recently I've been attempting to Skype on a group call with 5 people
in Europe.  I would LOVE to have a guaranteed bandwidth for my
call.  For "ordinary", non-time critical things, I'd be happy to
fight for bits on an equal footing with everybody else.  Maybe the
best solution is two networks...

Steve