[TUHS] V7 Addendem [ really lawyers and AT&T consent decree ]

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Dec 12 23:59:14 AEST 2017

    > From: George Michaelson

    > I didn't mean to disrespect the people who did the models or the
    > protocol or standards work btw.

Oh, I personally have no problem with you saying hard things about this work,
as long as it's what you really think. One never finds the truth unless one is
willing to look hard, neh? And I'm pretty sure Dave Clark (who was a leading
light in IntServ) would be OK with you doing so too (I worked very closely
with him for years, to the point where I deputized for him at meetings).

I honestly don't remember exactly what my take was on IntServ and RSVP; I'd
have to go look. I recollect seeing the case that _if resources were limited_,
certain classes of application (I guess we called them 'inelastic') would need
reservations to work properly. So I was probably susceptible to the argument
that 'if we've got bandwidth to light our <insert flammable objects> with, we
don't need resource reservation'. And I remember being not _thrilled_ with
RSVP, but I don't recall exactly why.