[TUHS] Difference in purpose of /var/spool vs /var/lib

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Fri Dec 15 09:38:53 AEST 2017

In my humble opinion, "spool" means files in transit. Run something
locally, it generates a file, it gets shipped somewhere (email, printer,
etc) and it's gone.

On Linux and Solaris (to a lesser extent), /var/lib seems to be
configuration files like samba's password database, and other "non
transient" files.

If you're storing files for long periods, /var/spool is not where you
want to do that. Again, IMHO.