[TUHS] Date madness

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo tih at hamartun.priv.no
Mon Dec 18 04:53:22 AEST 2017

Ron Natalie <ron at ronnatalie.com> writes:

> I remember the fun and games when we had systems that went back and forth
> between UNIX and VMS.    VMS set the time of day clock in local time.
> UNIX set it to GMT.

We used TGV Multinet to put our VAX/VMS cluster on the Internet.  Great
product, and really great service!  I loved the simple ingenuity of the
daylight savings switch on that system: for the forward shift in the
spring, it would run the system clock at double speed for an hour, and
for the autumn changeover, it would run it at half speed for two hours.
Since it took place during the night, it didn't bother anyone, and it
let the VMS system (which, as you say, ran on local time) maintain a
strictly increasing system clock at all times.

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay