[TUHS] Early Clones / Rewrites for TUHS archives

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Mon Dec 18 20:10:55 AEST 2017

On 2017-Dec-12 09:40:31 -0500, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
>My question about SOL got me thinking a bit.  It would be nice to have
>section in TUHS of any early clones that could be collected.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is QNX - I didn't directly use it but a
colleague was using it in the mid-1980s on PC-AT class hardware.  ISTR one
of my colleague's whinges was the 256-byte command-line limit.

My earliest exposure would have been Xenix on a 286 - my main recollections
are:
1) The Pascal compiler that didn't ignore comments (changing a comment
could make the code fail to compile with an obscure error.
2) The fork() system call could sometimes return -1 to the parent, even when
it succeeded - that caused a lot of head-scratching.
3) Hacking one of the Emacs clones (I no longer recall which) to use "far"
pointers for the buffers, so I could edit files >64K without paying the
performance penalty of writing "large model" code.  (286 protected-mode
performance was abyssmal if it needed to do segment descriptor loads)
Unfortunately, I no longer have that code.

--
Peter Jeremy